Red Lantern-inspired Jacket:
Red and Black fabric: Cotton/poly Interlock
Red and Black Rib: Cotton/Lycra
Lantern symbol: white Lycra
1 separating black zipper
My buddy Mario, previously asked for a Sinestro-inspired jacket, now requested the another, this time the Red Lantern.
To begin, I asked Mario to email me views of the Red Lantern so I could make it into the design suitable for his jacket.
After his approval, I started with the same commercial pattern that I used as a spring board for Sinestro. All the red detail of the jacket was going to be separate pieces sewn over the black jacket.
I copied the pattern pieces, so I could draw in my new style lines and cut out the pattern.
I cut out the black interlock, and assembled the shoulder seams and pockets. I sewed the sleeves, added the red rib cuff, and set the sleeves aside to be put onto the jacket at the end. I cut out the red interlock, sewed the shoulder seams, and began to add the interior piping detail. Sometimes I plan one thing in the design and end up changing my mind later on. So, a few details got added and modified. I made the piping out of the corresponding interlock and secured it with a zigzag topstitch. Then I prepared the tricky detail of attaching the red interlock to the black base jacket, with more red piping. This is always a tense moment at the machine sometimes accompanied by cursing or praying.
After that I assembled the 'Lantern' symbol and prepared it to be attached to the jacket. This time, I appliqued all of the different white sections onto the black background, then appliqued that whole thing to the front of the jacket. Getting to a few layers of fabric by this time.
Now, it was time to wrestle with the bottom rib. On the Sinestro jacket, I really wanted the waist to be the same matching gold color as the rest of the jacket, but was unable to find that color in a rib, so it was not a rib. This time Mario specifically requested a stretchy waist on the jacket, and luckily I was able to get all the proper colors to do this. I also was able to make this nice detail on the back half of the rib where it is black and red striped as per my original design, with a little modification. This proved to be challenging because I miscalculated my orginal rib measurement, and had to make the thing twice, and nearly ran out of materials! A scary moment, but I was able to climb off the ledge and do it properly. (Yes, I tend to get a tinsy bit dramatic while sewing)
Next, I made the collar, with yes, more piping! I sewed the collar on, sewed the sleeves on, and put the zipper in. Ordinarily zippers are not such a big deal, but it is when it separates a symmertical design split down the center. After careful checking, rechecking, and pinning and repinning I got it in there.
So here's the finished jacket, and Mario lookin' stylish as he worn it for the first time at New York Comic Con 2009.